May 23 - Extracts of Media Update
23rd May 2020
This is an extract from the Media Update dated 23rd May 2020 - Update on Reopening of Churches
Letter dated 22nd May 2020 from the Ministry of National Unity, the Catholic Church had been notified that approval has been granted to three (3) churches/mass centre, namely:
- Church of St John Vianney, Tampin;
- Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Cameron Highlands, and
- Catholic Mission, Kuala Terengganu
Approval is subject to the SOP issued by the Ministry of National Unity and other conditions stipulated in the above letter. This will take effect from the 10th of June 2020.
The Archdiocese will study the requirements set by the above SOP and discuss with the priests of the above approved communities, to ascertain their capacity to comply with the SOP and further guidelines issued by the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur.
- In the event, the Archdiocese or the various communities decide to reopen, we will do so in a measured and cautious manner based on a phase-by-phase roll-out of the Masses and other sacraments.
- We would like to thank the Minister of National Unity, YB Datuk Halimah Binti Mohamed Sadique and her team for expediting this approval and facilitating the various discussions with the heads of religions to listen to our views.
- Special thanks to the Secretary General of the Ministry, Y Bhg Datuk Wan Suraya binti Wan Md Radzi, for being readily accessible and answering our enquiries when needed.
- Above approval would only permit a fraction of our Catholic community to return to church for Masses, the Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur will extend the dispensation to attend Mass on Sundays to all the faithful. The faithful are encouraged to continue viewing the live streamed Masses that are being provided by the Archdiocese and other dioceses.
- His Grace Archbishop Julian Leow Beng Kim wishes to remind us, “As Malaysians we need to come together to overcome this pandemic. If anyone wants to be safe then everyone has to be safe.”