Sept 8: Chancery Notice Extracts
This is an extract from the Chancery Notice on 8th September 2020:
- Updates to Archdiocesan Guidelines for celebrating Sacraments
Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) has been extended to the 31st of December 2020. His Grace, Archbishop Julian Leow D.D. having been advised by the Crisis Management Task Force, has agreed to make the following adaptations to the Archdiocesan Guidelines for Celebrating Sacraments under the RMCO and post RMCO dated 5th June 2020 (Guidelines) and additional guidelines set out in his Pastoral Letter dated 11th July 2020.
Age Restrictions and Persons under High-Risk Categories
Those suffering from chronic diseases, senior citizens and children aged 12 years and below are not encouraged to attend services in places of worship.
The Parish Priest is allowed to attach additional conditions (e.g. request for waiver or consent declarations etc) for those who have made an informed decision to come for Mass. He can make alternative arrangements for the pastoral good of those listed under these high-risk categories in lieu of public Mass attendance (see item 1.5).
- Non-Malaysian Citizens
No longer prohibits non-Malaysian citizens from attending Mass and other religious activities. As such, they can now participate in any parish activity.
The previous SOP on Funerals which restricted attendance at a funeral to 15 persons has been abrogated. Though there is currently no limit on number of attendees, social distancing and other public health safety measures must continue to be observed.
The restriction on a maximum number of 20 persons (including the priest and other ministers) remains.
- Distribution of Holy Communion Outside Mass
Given the number of high risk persons “excluded” from the weekly Sunday Masses, following options which could be adopted and adapted by individual parishes at the discretion of the Parish Priest:
- Individual Appointments - Appointments could be made with the priest for confession and communion in the parish. Schedules could be provided and this could be organised through BECs with volunteers providing transport where necessary;
- Appointing additional EMOHCs - Additional EMOHCs who are younger and do not have any restricting health conditions may be appointed;
- Designated Mass for high-risk persons - Parish Priest could designate a special Mass, apart from the weekly public Masses, for those who fall under the high-risk categories;
- Condition and Criteria for Home Communion - Since it is advisable that the EMOHCs limit distribution of holy communion to the homebound to just one home per day to avoid transmitting infection; and
- Drive-through Holy Communion Service – At the discretion of the Parish Priest and with consideration to the viability of the church premises for a drive-through, drive-through Holy Communion may be arranged for high-risk individuals.
- Sunday School, RCIA, Formations and Meetings
As the MKN SOP updated on 4th September now permits scheduled activities and gatherings apart from Masses, non-liturgical activities such as catechism classes, RCIA, formations, meetings etc may resume at the discretion and at the direction of the Parish Priest.
- Basic Ecclesial Communities (BEC)
At the discretion and direction of the Parish Priest, BEC gatherings may resume. BECs should not hold in-person gatherings without receiving the approval from the Parish Priest.
- Education and Adherence of SOPs, Guidelines and Public Health Advisories
The Parish Priest and the PRT must ensure that all those who are now allowed to attend parish activities are informed and briefed with regards to the MKN SOP, Archdiocesan Guidelines, and any other parish protocols.
- Pastoral Posting of Deacon Bonaventure Rayappan
Reverend Deacon Bonaventure Rayappan has been posted to the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes, Klang, with effect from the 1st of September 2020.
- Deacon Adrian Ng
Deacon Adrian Ng, who is a permanent deacon incardinated in the Diocese of Melaka-Johor and who is currently on leave from his diocese, has been engaged contractually as a full-time Pastoral associate for the Church of the Holy Family, Kajang for a period of six months subject to review. He will not be exercising any liturgical or ministerial duties as a deacon during his tenure.
- Annual Clergy Retreat
Annual retreat from the 21st to the 24th of September 2020.
- Chrism Mass
24th of September 2020 at 10.30 am in the Church of St Anthony, Jalan Robertson, Kuala Lumpur. Mass will not be open to the public.
Rev Fr Michael Chua
Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur