May 5: Chancery Notice Extracts
This is an extract from the Chancery Notice on 5th May 2021 - Suspension of Masses in Kuala Lumpur & Selangor
- After having consulted the Archdiocesan Crisis Management Task Force, it is the decision of His Grace to temporarily suspend all public Masses in parishes located within Kuala Lumpur and the state of Selangor with effect from Friday, the 7th of May 2021 until further notice.
- Parish Offices - At the discretion of the Parish Priest/ Administrator, parish offices may be opened with additional precautionary measures, e.g. shorter opening hours, shift work among staff, no over-counter transactions etc.
- Weddings - Scheduled weddings may proceed with a maximum number of 30 persons (inclusive of minister, couple, witnesses). All attendees should be preregistered.
- Funerals - Parlours in Churches may be opened. There should be no in-person communal prayers (which could be done via ZOOM) and private prayers within the parlour are limited to not more than 5 persons at any one time. Funeral Masses may be celebrated with a maximum number of 30 persons. All guests and family members should be preregistered.
- Baptisms are to be postponed except in the case of an emergency.
- Anointing of the Sick shall be reserved for urgent cases. All home communion by extraordinary ministers of holy communion will be suspended until further notice.
- Confessions can be heard by way of private appointment with the priest.
- Please take note that Masses will continue to be live-streamed from various parishes. The links can be found on TV.ArchKL.org. Parishes which are conducting live-streaming should not have more than 10 volunteers present at any Mass. The Archbishop has also dispensed the faithful from the obligation to attend Mass and holy days of obligation.
- Other States - In the case of parishes located within Negeri Sembilan, Pahang and Terengganu, the status quo is maintained and public Masses will continue as scheduled.
Rev Fr Michael Chua
Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur